Remote work with a 3yo is impossible, change my mind
I've been trying to make this work for 6 months and I'm losing it. My company let me go full remote after my second kid was born, which sounds amazing on paper. But my 3-year-old daughter doesn't understand why daddy is "right there" but can't play with her. She interrupts every single call, and my wife is at work too so I can't tag her in. Yesterday I had a client presentation and my son literally knocked over my coffee on the desk while screaming in the background. I feel like I'm failing at both jobs. Anyone else dealing with this? How do you actually focus?
Tried setting up a designated play area while you work? Ours helped for like a week then lost its novelty. Kids that age have no concept of 'working hours' and honestly they shouldn't have to manage that.
I know it feels like admitting defeat but remote with toddlers only works if you've got childcare during work hours. That's just reality. Nothing wrong with that setup.
The productivity guilt combined with the parenting guilt is a double whammy. You're doing neither thing well because you're trying to do both at once. Nothing wrong with telling your company that doesn't work for you.